Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 

This is AmiKit Support Forum. Click here for main AmiKit website.
none
  Forums Sign Up Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 70 [11 Sep 2009 00:41]
Guests - 70 / Members - 0
AmiKit Support Forum / Linux issues / How do I start AmiKit?
JakeTucker
New (2) Member

# Posted: 27 Jul 2009 03:00

Hi there.
First post.
About a month back I installed AmiKit on a WinXP PC. I used Amiga Forever 2008 for a kick.rom source and when it was up and running I installed OS 3.9.
Not long after the hard drive died and WinXP was OEM tied to it.
I'd been dabbling with Linux on another PC already and I did try Win 7 RC for a bit but I don't like the idea of paying the UK price for the full release when it comes out.
I couldn't think of any reason for needing Windows so it's Linux all the way now.

To my problem. I downloaded AmiKit for Linux. After resolving some dependencies I managed to complete the install script.
At the end you're given the desktop and script options. I selected both.
Firstly nothing appeared on the desktop. So I thought I'd look for the script. I couldn't find it. I performed a search for anything 'AmiKit' which gave me loads of results but nothing looked like an executable.
So how do I start AmiKit. I'm talking about the link/icon which in Windows links to this dialog box.
AmiKit

Or do things work totally different under Linux? I've been double-clicking loads of icons but none seem to bring up the dialog box in the picture. I was about to install the Windows version and try it under Wine but thought I'd ask here first.

By the way if it does work the same as the Win version then when the install script gets to the end and asks about the desktop and script options it might be an idea to add where the location of the script is just in case you don't get a desktop icon. Which is what has happened in my case.

AmiKit
Admin

# Posted: 28 Jul 2009 02:59

Such a dialog box is not part of Linux version of AmiKit. The AmiKit icon should start E-UAE with AmiKit configuration loaded. Anyway, I've asked the author of the Linux installation script to assist you. Thanks for your patience.

Slider
Regular (14) Moderator

# Posted: 28 Jul 2009 03:52

Or do things work totally different under Linux? I've been double-clicking loads of icons but none seem to bring up the dialog box in the picture. I was about to install the Windows version and try it under Wine but thought I'd ask here first.

Things work slightly differently under a Linux OS. You won't see any fancy GUI until e-ue is actually launched and even then it not exactly 'pretty' Anyway, the install script installs two bits. One a desktop icon which ends up in /home/$USER/Desktop (where $USER is whatever you log in as) and wherever you installed amikit/e0euae there is another script to a run them, this one is called run-amikit and will not be in your systems search path unless you move/copy it somewhere that is.

By the way if it does work the same as the Win version then when the install script gets to the end and asks about the desktop and script options it might be an idea to add where the location of the script is just in case you don't get a desktop icon. Which is what has happened in my case.

AS you installed e-uae/amikit somewhere then its a given where the run-amikit script is.However, as there are some new users to Linux OS coming around then perhaps you are right here. Time is my enemy, so when jJan releases another full version I shall try and get this little addition in.

JakeTucker
New (2) Member

# Posted: 1 Aug 2009 17:06

Thanks for replying.
I don't think I have the patience to try all this again especially as all I want to do is play some .adfs in UAE, be it UAE or E-UAE. The differences of which I don't totally understand.
I hope you didn't mind the comment about adding the locations of where the script is.
Fancy graphics mean nothing to me but even though I've used PCs since before DOS (with CP/M) I find it easier to start an app. with a click than typing into something like Bash.

Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's that?    :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Name  » Password 
You can post anonymously, entering just a nickname without password, if username is not taken by another member; or leaving both fields empty. Having an account, you can also just log-in from this page, without posting a message.

These forums are running on bulletin board software miniBB™ © 2001-2014